Pages

Thursday, 27 September 2012

A blog is about sharing yourself, right?

The title is from my last post, about 1D. <3.

Is a blog really about sharing yourself, or just sharing... random things, like a news website?
By sharing yourself, I don't mean like: you can have my elbow, go ahead, you can take my forehead; and I definitely don't mean sharing personal info.

I mean sharing who you are. What you love, why you love it, where you wanna go, what you wanna be, what you wanna do. How you want to live.

Blogging is like a giant piece of paper. Imagine. The paper goes on for as far as you can see in all directions, just a plain white sheet of paper. There is only tiny mark on it, right where you are standing. Your name.

In your hand, you realize that you're holding a paint palette containing paints of every colour of the rainbow, thick and thin brushes, pens and crayons.

Taking notes the old fashioned way, pen on paper by faungg on Flickr.


Then you realize that this paper is yours. All yours. You can draw, paint, write, scribble, colour, decorate and splatter on your paper. You can rip it, stamp on it, stick it, flip it, tear it, poke it, cut it, and scrunch it up. You can get others to judge your paper, support you as you draw, and give you ideas. And the best part is that the paper will never ever run out.

When you look back after years of work on your paper, you realize how you drew what you loved, what you hated, what you wanted, what you felt, what you needed, what you had, where you were, what you were, when you were. You have made one beautiful piece of art that is unique and will always be unique. You have made yourself into art.

Blogging is an empty canvas that belongs to you. How will you make it yours? How will you share yourself?

From the Purple Owl :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel,

    I love that you are exploring and articulating what blogging means to you; that it is an art and it is an extension of who you are. I really like your metaphor and this realization...
    "Then you realize that this paper is yours. All yours. " Wonderful.

    I also love it that you ended your post with questions. That does allow for the conversation to start and grow.

    To respond, I started blogging because I needed to get stuff off my chest. I also needed to change my attitude toward life in general and I found that writing about what I was grateful for started to soften my heart. My early posts were cryptic and badly written but the act of releasing what I was feeling into words really helped me. As time passed, I slowly developed a confidence and voice and was less afraid to be clear, to be read, to be understood. So, I started writing thinking I needed to have people really see and comprehend what I was trying to share. These days I share a lot through pictures and have started our class blog, Meta, which has a completely different purpose and tone.

    To make a long story short (too late for that), it has been a journey for me. I had no idea what I was doing at the start and because I kept at it, it took a life of it's own. One that involved hearing from people, connecting with other readers and bloggers, seeing that blogging is an art.

    Awesome, right?
    "When you look back after years of work on your paper, you realize how you drew what you loved, what you hated, what you wanted, what you felt, what you needed, what you had, where you were, what you were, when you were. You have made one beautiful piece of art that is unique and will always be unique. You have made yourself into art." Love this.

    Keep at it. Would love to read more.

    Ms. P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Paula,

      Thank you so much for your comment. I'm really glad that you liked this post. :)

      I hope that blogging can be a journey for me too, like you. As the days, months and years pass I want to keep blogging! Maybe it won't be on this blog, but it will be somewhere.

      I liked how you said: "it took a life of its own" about the blog. I think that that is very true and an interesting thing to think about.

      Thank you :)
      Hazel

      Delete
  2. Sorry...that should be its own, not it's own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hazel,

    I teach next door and Ms. G shared your post with me because she knew I would dig it, and man was she right. As we begin our blogging journey as a school it is so fascinating to see how you, the students, see what we are trying to do. I love seeing all your different views and interpretations of what blog is, or can be for each of you.

    I love your idea of the never ending roll of white paper onto which we imprint ourselves. This line is my favorite, "You have made yourself into art."

    That is really want we are doing. Like Ms. G said, sometimes we use our sheet of paper to work out our own demons and issues and loves and laughs, and sometimes we need others to take a look and give us support or criticism or just to hear us when we speak.

    Thanks for being so open and sharing in such a beautiful and eloquent manner. Your space is eloquently designed and I have added you to my RSS feed, in hopes that I get to know you better, even though you are in my classroom. I would be honored if you did the same and came to check out

    http://clueaspace.blogspot.sg/

    Come by sometime so I can put a name to a face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr Raisdana!

      I'm so glad that you liked this post.

      I'm following your blog now, I like how you use links in the posts, I will try to do that too.

      Thank you once again for your comment, it definitely helps me and boosts my energy to write more when there are comments written about my posts.

      Thank you!

      Hazel :)

      Delete
  4. Hi there Hazel,

    Ms G also shared your post with me. I must say, I enjoyed your voice. I enjoyed gaining an insight into your brain. I enjoyed your sense of humor, especially, "By sharing yourself, I don't mean like: you can have my elbow, go ahead, you can take my forehead." I actually laughed out loud as I read that. Out loud. No joke! In addition, I have to say, that your ideas and your understanding of blogging was very thought-provoking. I enjoyed the metaphor. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Happy blogging. Happy sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you liked my sense of humour. That was a great compliment, thank you so much, it made me smile.

      Thank you for this comment, I am really touched that you took the time to read my blog and comment on this post. :)

      Happy blogging to you too.

      Hazel :)

      Delete
  5. I REALLY loved this post. I never thought about paper in that way, but you've definitely opened my eyes to it :)

    ReplyDelete